You want to use Citavi to insert citations and quotations in Scrivener and to automatically add a bibliography at the end of your document.
1. Open your document in Scrivener
2. In Citavi, click Tools
. Then, change the default behavior for the Publication Assistant as shown:
3. Start the Publication Assistant:
4. Click Mini
and then click Float
to keep a smaller version of the Publication Assistant above your document:
5. Start writing your text in Scrivener.
6. Insert references by using the Clipboard. To do so, first double-click the reference you want to insert in the Publication Assistant. Citavi then copies the reference to the Clipboard. Insert the reference into your document.
You can use the option Paste and Match Style if the fonts are different.
7. A placeholder for the reference is inserted:
This placeholder will be replaced by the formatted citation later on.
8. Insert quotations the same way:
9. When you are finished writing, export your document.
Select Rich Text Format
10. Format the RTF document with Citavi:
11. Citavi checks to see if all of the placeholders have a match in your project (1). You can also select a different citation style (2). After that, click Format (3):
12. Citavi lets you know that the file was formatted sucessfully:
13. Import the RTF file in a new Scrivener project:
14. Select the file formatted by Citavi. The RTF file with the name of the citation style on the end is the formatted file:
15. Your publication is now complete and can be saved as a PDF file if so desired: