If you are having trouble with Citavi, an activity log can help the Citavi support team identify the source of the problem. To create an activity log choose one of the following options:
B. If you can start Citavi but cannot open or create a new project
If you can't start Citavi at all
- If you already have a Citavi shortcut on your Desktop, continue with step 2. Otherwise, create a shortcut for Citavi as shown in the screenshot below:
- Right-click the shortcut and then click Properties.
- In the Target field, place the insertion point at the very end of the field after the closing quotation mark. Type a space and then /LOG and then click OK to finish.
- Double-click the shortcut to start Citavi. Do the steps that produce the error.
- Close Citavi.
- To send the activity log to the Citavi support team, open Windows Explorer and enter the following path:
Right-click the Local Logs folder and select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder. To transfer the zip file, please use our secure upload service:
So that we can match the file to your support case, please include the support ticket ID or the link to your Forum post. Otherwise, include a short description of the error.
In this case an activity log will not help, since the problem is likely not caused by Citavi. The most common reason is a problem with the .NET Framework
About our logging tool
We use Gibraltar Agent Log from Gibraltar Software to create activity log files. Gibraltar saves logs as sessions in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Gibraltar\Local Logs
When you save a log file, Citavi remembers which logs have been saved before and doesn't save them again. Refer to Gibraltar Software's documentation on default settings
and log pruning
Once logging is enabled in Citavi, you can press Ctrl+Alt+F5
at any time to open the Gibraltar Live Log Viewer, which lets you view what's being logged in the current session.